Borrowing and Fees
Loan periods2 weeks for books, magazines, audiobooks and CDs
1 week for DVDs
2 weeks for OverDrive eBooks; may modify to 7 or 21 days
3 weeks for cloudLibrary eBooks
Up to 21 days for RBdigital eAudiobooks
1 or 2 weeks for Law Library materials
Request first available copy
Request titles from any library for pickup at your preferred library or Library Express using the online catalog or Ask a Librarian. Popular titles may have waiting lists.
Loan periods for most borrowed materials may be extended three times. Items with waiting lists and interlibrary loans cannot be extended. Renew materials online or through Ask a Librarian.
Book returns are open 24/7 at all Washington County libraries and Library Express locations. Materials may also be returned to any public library in the Twin Cities metro area. Items returned at other metro libraries remain on your account until they arrive back to Washington County Library.
To share library resources in a fair and timely manner, there are limits for any library account at one time.
10 eBooks or eAudiobooks checked out; 10 requests for eBooks or eAudiobooks
20 Washington County Library requests
10 MNLINK (interlibrary loan) requests
25 overdue items
100 total borrowed items
Borrowing privileges are suspended when limits are exceeded
Washington County Library sends courtesy email or mail notices for:
- Materials nearing due date (email only)
- Overdue and lost materials
unreturned one-week loans. The final notice is a bill for the replacement cost of materials plus a nonrefundable $8 recovery fee for each item. 30 days after the final notice is sent unpaid charges of more than $50 are sent to
Washington County for debt collection.
Printing and Copies
- 15¢ per page for black and white printing and copies.
- 50¢ per page for color printing and copies.
- Now you can print at your library from anywhere!
- $60 a year for a card issued to anyone who does not reside in or own property in a Washington County Library, Stillwater Library, or Bayport Library taxing districts. A $60 card may be used to borrow print library materials only. It is not valid for access to WCL’s digital resources.
- Replacement cost for damaged items. If a library item is returned in a condition that makes it unusable, it is considered damaged.
- Replacement price for items lost or not returned. Items that check out for two weeks are considered lost when they are six weeks overdue. Items that check out for one week are considered lost when they are three weeks overdue. If a library user pays for an item, and later finds the item, the payment will not be refunded.
- $8 recovery fee for each item that is not returned before being considered lost. To avoid the $8 recovery fee, return items by their due dates or renew items that you want to keep longer. If you misplace, damage, or lose a library item, pay the replacement price before you receive a bill for the item to avoid being charged the recovery fee. If you return the item after being billed, the replacement fee will be cancelled, but the recovery fee must still be paid.
- $15 fee for any account sent to Washington County for debt collection.
Washington County Library does not charge daily fines for overdue materials.