News Flash

Life at the Library

Posted on: February 22, 2022

Jazz and Friends: Legal Information for Families

Join us for books, discussion, and more! Our readings and resources are in partnership with Welcoming School’s Jazz & Friends National Day of School and Community Readings in support of transgender and nonbinary youth in our community. 

Navigating the legal system when it comes to a name change and/or sex affirmation can be complicated. Luckily, we have Law Librarian Suzi Stephenson to uncomplicate the process. Watch Suzi provide legal information for parents and check out her list of legal resources. 

Name Change for Minors

A parent, legal guardian, or next of kin (who is at least 18 years old) of a minor may file an Application for Minor Name Change with the district court in the county in which the minor presently lives. The person(s) filing the Application and the minor must have lived in the State of Minnesota for at least six months. Minn. Stat. § 259.10 (2016)

To get "Name Change for Minor" forms, visit

The forms you will need to fill out are: 

  • Application for Name Change of a Minor
  • Criminal History Check Release for Name Change of a Minor (used for minors age 10 and above)
  • Proposed Order Granting Minor Name Change

Sex Amendment for Minors

Driver's License

Minnesota is a state where you can self-designate your sex on your driver’s license (no documentation required) by choosing, M, F, or X.

Birth Certificate

To do a sex amendment on a birth certificate you will need to have a letter from a physician certifying appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition or a court order that specifically amends the minors sex on their birth record, along with a Birth Record Amendment form. You can find the Birth Record Amendment form with the Minnesota Department of Health:

Along with the Amendment form you will need to have two supporting documents that has two or more of the following:

  • Subject’s last name
  • Subject’s date of birth
  • Subject’s place of birth
  • A parent’s name
  • A parent’s date of birth
  • A parent’s place of birth

For More Assistance

Additional Legal Resources

LGBTQ+ Legal and Information Resources

Facebook Twitter Email